Saturday, May 10, 2008

Opening Night and beyond

I have much to write about the opening at Translations Gallery. I will post photos after I get home. The opening was great fun, great weather and greatly celebratory. A drumming circle played informally outside with the front of the gallery open to the outdoors. You will see later, the front is like a big garage door. The show looked wonderful with Cassie Tondro's work contrasting well with my subtle work.

Today I went to the Denver Art Museum and spent some hours looking at a new Gee's Bend quilt exhibition. The exhibit contained historical work from the amazing women of Gee's Bend Alabama and some newer work. The 2000 exhibit has inspired some of the women to pick up quilting again. There is so much spontanaity, improvisation, and spirit in this work. What a joy to see it together in two gallery rooms. The video may have been from the older exhibit, I am not sure. Much of the 70's work had avacado green material that came from work that women from the area did for Sears. They stitched pillow covers and much of the material made its way into quilts. The colors they chose to go with the green were unexpected and surprising.

Wish I had more time to get to know Denver better and especially more time to get to the mountains. They are calling on the western edge of town.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cassandra Tondro said...

Hi Chris,

I really enjoyed the opening, too, and I'm so glad I flew to Denver to be there. It was great to see you again, and I hope we can do more shows together.

I did go to the mountains while I was there, and it was worth the trip. I have a friend who lives in Evergreen, and I met her there to see the town and the surrounding area. Spectacular!

On the flight back to LA, snow covered the mountains all the way from Colorado into Utah, and it was breath-takingly beautiful. There was a lot more snow than I saw flying out, so it must have been a recent storm.

Look forward to seeing you soon!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks Cassie! My flight home was uneventful, but earlier than expected, so I was home in time to still eat with my family. It was a great experience to do this show together. It is hard to come back down to real life.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home