Friday, February 22, 2008

GO AirTran Airways Inflight Magazine

Kate Merkel, Gallery Manager at Translations Gallery, just wrote to announce that an editor from GO, AirTran Airways' inflight magazine is writing an article on our May gallery show. Cassie Tondro initiated the idea that we do our own press release and make the most of the show. We worked together to come up with a name that fit both of our bodies of work. We finally settled on Ordinary Alchemy. It refers to the way we transform ordinary materials into extraordinary art. Cassie turns cast off paint into magical paintings and I change earth and plant material into vessels. Cassie did most of the work on the press release and developed a list of contacts which included airline magazines. Over Christmas break, I was able to meet Cassie in Santa Monica. It was wonderful to see her paintings and studio. I wish I had photos to share, but my family took the camera to Venice Beach while I met with Cassie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Crowell said...

Wonderful news from your gallery! That Cassie had a good idea--to think up great publicity angles instead of just leaving all that up to the gallery. I guess galleries only do for any one artist what they can spare for all, and it's not this kind of intensive effort. So, congrats, I hope it will be a really nice article--I can imagine great photos and maybe an interview?

6:43 AM  
Blogger Cassandra Tondro said...

Hi Christina! Hi Rebecca!

No interviews -- they're writing the article from the press release. We gave them a fairly lengthy press release, so they have plenty of material to work with. And the gallery sent them images of our work.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home