Sunday, March 09, 2008

Hazelnuts

Last summer I tried to mud dye cloth. I was teaching an Eco-Art course for the local Summer Institute program and experimented with ways to paint red clay on cloth and make the dye permanent. I used these nut hulls to mordant the cloth; boiling the nut hulls and cloth together. I never got the great results of mud cloth in Mali, but the experiment was fun. Judy Dominic is quite the expert on Mali mud cloth and has tried many plants for the mordant. The plant used by dyers in Mali does not grow in North America. In addition, I certainly tried to make the process more speedy. Now, however, the hulls get a third life embedded into the clay of one of my sculptures.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Christine, for the mention and link! I'm still playing with the process. I doubt it will ever be the same as practiced in Mali- it is absolutely magical there!

Judy

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home