Sunday, February 17, 2008

Forked Branch Series

Yesterday, I finished one piece and redid the structure of a vessel that was not working. Both pieces use forked branches. Here is a quick picture of the finished piece taken in the light of a snow storm howling outside of the window.

I started the faulty vessel several months ago. I was trying to keep the lines of the structure simple. One curved branch formed the bottom edge. Of course it could not stand on this one branch. I planned to make it stand when I added the clay/fiber mixture. Generally, I adhere to the adage that the structure must be sound before starting the skin. This experience confirmed that the adage is dependable. I could not form the bottom with the clay and fiber without making a heavy, unsatisfactory form. Luckily, my materials can be reused. I added a second branch from pieces I found in my stash from a number of years ago. Now the structure stands and I am making a temporary skin in preparation for the clay/fiber mixture. Making the form balance was tricky because it is asymmetrical with a curved bottom. I have no quick and easy solutions for balancing my structures because the forms depend on the branches. I hope the form looks simple even though I labored to achieve it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen Jacobs said...

An intriguing concept very well done! I find myself wishing you'd placed an object nearby for judging size. Missed your blog posts but glad to see you're still working!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Love the lines.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks Karen and Judy. The piece is about 15 inches tall and 24 inches long.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home