Friday, May 11, 2007

Nature, soul, matter, and dematerialization

Since I started to read The Spell of the Sensuous, I have been analyzing many philosophies with a new twist. This especially occurred during two talks at my local Unitarian Universalist Congregation. One was about Transcendentalism and the other about quantum physics. Transcendentalism, like David Abram's book is a call to return to nature. The speaker, however, referred to the spirit as a dematerialized entity. Something above, beyond our physical being. Abrams, from what I understand, is asserting that the soul is deeply embedded in physical matter, in the very stuff of the earth, stones, soil, birds, sound, and trees. It is through our senses that we can regain a connection to nature and a larger whole. The edges between the perceiver and the perceived blur.

Quantum physics, according to Rick Magyar, contends that most of matter is air. 90% or so of every molecule is air. If so, then why can't we, if we are mostly air, walk through walls? The wall also is mostly air. Why can't the molecule move between each other? He also talked of the spirit as connected to the mind and his language was peppered with descriptions that divided mind and body.

Certainly, to me, working with earth materials is my way of understanding larger issues. Through the senses, I have experiential connections to a feeling of oneness. This may not happen every day, or even on a regular basis, but it is one factor in my choices of material.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Crowell said...

Interesting post..I want to read that book now. The part about blurring the edges between the "perceiving and the perceived" fits in with something I've been reading about ego-identification, and how it can be a block to spiritual growth...the loosening of egoic grip comes about by way of that blurring of which you speak. (The book I'm reading is a new one by Exckhart Tolle, author of one of my all-time favorites, The Power of Now--this new one is called A New Earth.)

Maybe the "dematerialized entity" and the spirit within nature are one and the same? One not negating the other, but nature perhaps a way to access it as direct experience?

10:09 AM  
Blogger Kesha Bruce said...

I agree. This sounds like a wonderfully interesting book...I could really get dwell on something like this for quite a while.

90% air....

I love this idea.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Is nature only a tool to reach this spirit within nature or dematerialized entity? does it matter where it in all reality resides? Another scientist talked about how we put meaning into our experiences. If we win the lottery, it must have some meaning. On the other hand, someone must win the lottery. Yet with all of his reason and skepticism, he had some spiritual beliefs. I will look up the links to his talk soon. A bit under the weather today.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Crowell said...

I just meant nature is one way we can access the greater spirit...it's there whether we notice it or not, and as you seem to be saying, I never think of it as residing in any particular place or time or situation. Nature just has a way of helping us to quiet and open our busy little minds.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home