Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oil Paint and Cold Wax


Shielded Pod


This small piece got a face lift. The face lift began as an experiment at one of Rebecca Crowell's Cold Wax Medium Workshops. I continued with more cold wax and oil paint then toned it down with cold wax and marble dust. First, I made a paste with marble dust and a bit of water. Then I mixed it with a good amount of cold wax. Rebecca tells me that you cannot mix wax and oil, but it seemed to work. It was very slow to dry, however. The inside has oxides mixed with clay plasters-no oil paints. It was satisfying to scrape the paint over the surface textures that I created with the clay plater. This pod seems to have just released it's seeds. It seems more alive than other pieces which speak more of fall or winter colors.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home