Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Studio Shots


I am struggling with surfaces. I like to make the surface as I make the form. When I use my version of the natural plaster method, I add to the surface afterwards. I could add linseed oil to the mix, but prefer to leave solvent fumes out of my studio for as long as possible. I am having fun exploring the surfaces, but when it feels too much like drawing or painting, it becomes a surface design exercise for me. I am trying to keep the surfaces true to the structural process. On this last piece, the building process shows on the outside. I am trying to decide how much of it to leave and how much to obliterate. I made the inside look quite organic and natural. It would be nice to contrast the outside with a different texture and concept. Manmade vs. Natural.

This shot shows the construction process. I hung the willow form between upright boards. Wire screen serves as a temporary form.
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Crowell said...

It's funny but even though I'm a painter I think I know what you're talking about with "feeling too much like drawing or painting." I think we are similar in preferring that the surface texture come out of the process of layering, burnishing, scraping etc. (?) I like it when the process itself resonates with the organic form.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

In some pieces, I just burnish the surface and add some wax or oil to give a finish to the surface. For this piece, I knew the construction process would leave an unfinished surface. Now I decided that the built surface will be part of what the piece is about. I think it is changing the color that is hard for me to do. The painting on of the color seems fake. Still I am liking the effect as I add and scrape off color.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home